Sunday 1 September 2013

Goodbye Whitsundays....

It's all done and dusted, thanks for having us Airlie Beach and goodbye Whitsundays.

View from the rainforest track looking north west from Daydream Island
Our second last day was spent checking out the islands a little more. Half a day on Daydream and half a day on "Hammo". 

So let me summerise; Daydream Island is advertised in the pictures just like a big fresh, colourful Big Mac is from McDonalds. But unfortunately what you get is just like Maccas; something a little smaller, not as fresh, a tad smelly and leaves you asking yourself why you had to have it.

The answer is simply that you can't go to the Whitsundays without going to Daydream Island, just as I'm sure I'll eat a Big Mac again at some point, when I'm desperate, but still wonder why I couldn't just wait!

View from the Boardwalk looking south east from Daydream Island
So goodbye Daydream, maybe one day I'll return with a Whitsunday hunger... Next stop Hammo..

Ferry Terminal Daydream Island
Now I'm a little cynical at the moment, and maybe that was from not being let on Hamilton Island when I initially pulled up on the beach. I had to return though, "legally". I needed to find out why is it so special? 

Is it the bar in the resort pool? 

Is it being able to drive a golf cart on the road? 

Maybe it's because Oprah stayed on it once? But whatever the reason, I'm sure only Dr Phil will cure my distaste. 


Unfortunately, like those three birds searching through the food scraps for something special, nether of us found what we were looking for. Maybe our expectations were just too high?

Fortunately, my last day was spent enjoying that special something that was missing from Daydream and Hamilton. It was Whitehaven Beach and Hill Inlet... this time on a Jetski!

Looking toward Whitehaven from Haslewood Island 
It's a 130km round trip. Done in a 13+ knot South Easterly, with decent swell, made for an interesting ride. Needless to say there wasn't a lot of sitting down and just cruising. Actually, there was so much standing up, and getting beaten up, that if you look closely at the jettrim seat cover you might see some skin from my calf muscles that got rubbed off.

But was it worth it? Um, Yes!! By far, Whitehaven and Hill Inlet is the Whitsundays.

So if you're heading up, forget the two main Islands, Airlie Beach has much more to offer, but DO NOT leave without going to Whitehaven and Hill Inlet for a day! Yes a day! Don't forget your camera too.

So goodbye Daydream, goodbye Hammo, goodbye Airlie, but most of all, goodbye Whitehaven, we will meet again another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment